More then and now: Hulme, 1848

Just a quick post showing the first edition OS map of Hulme warped onto modern Manchester.

The back to backs have long gone, replaced by the Mancunian Way and carparks, and the University.

Hulme, 1848 first ed OS map

Hulme today on google earth, view of the Mancunian way junction with Cambridge St


This 1831 building at 8 Lower Ormond Street, with its original garden, is one of the few original buildings left in the area, alongside Grosvenor Gardens.The 'Scotch Church [Presbyterian]' drawn in detail next to it no longer survives, but near its place is the modern St. Augustine's RC church.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

radical walking and the problem of the flaneur

Spatial theory, cultural geography, and the 'spatial turn'

'the historian will be a programmer or he will be nothing'