more Manchester modernism

Following up to my post the other day about the Manchester Modernist society - the Manchester Centre for Regional History at MMU tweeted today about two more useful sites for Manchester modernism:

- The John Rylands Library (University of Manchester) digitised documents and webpages about mapping Manchester, especially the 1945 Manchester Plan.


I first read about the 1945 Manchester plan in a huge blue book on the oversize shelves of the local studies in the central library. It proved a fascinating diversion when I was getting tired during my archive and newspaper research. The proposal to knock down the Victorian town hall is often quoted as the most striking feature of the plan, but what also struck me was the desire for a long European-style boulevard running through Manchester.

- manchesterhistory.net pages about the Hulme crescents.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'As I tried to bludgeon Chartist demonstrators in the square'

Commemoration of the execution of 17 Luddites, York, 19 January 2013